Estonia may be almost too tiny to spot on a map, but its variety in forest types is mind-boggling, especially for an area half the size of Indiana.
The world needs a new Robin Hood! Both a movie and the man himself. Let’s start with the latter.
The notion of all men being created equal, a concept first conceived by Italian physician Philip Mazzei and later rephrased by Thomas Jefferson, still might sound like something a modern man should hold to. The emphasis, though, is on the words “might” and “should.” As everyone should know, the world’s richest 1% has 82% of the wealth, and there is little a rally–be it an occupy-Wall-street type of protest or impassioned pundit on CNN–can do to change that fact.
Hence, what we need is someone who might vanquish inequality, once and for all. And who would be better suited for that job than Robin Hood, the fabulous and heroic archer who could solve any problem with his bow and arrow. If we cannot find him as a physical reincarnation, then we could at least use him as a sequel to the many Robin Hood movies made over the years. We think most of the world is ready for a new hero–or at least a fantasy flick about one!
The question is where to shoot it. Since Britain has decided to leave the EU, it’s taking the Sherwood Forest, where the merry men lived, with it. Not to worry! An easy 2½ hours by air will take you from London to Estonia, a country renowned for its magnificent woods. Estonia may be almost too tiny to spot on a map, but its variety in forest types is mind-boggling, especially for an area half the size of Indiana.
There are two main forest types in Estonia. About 70% of its timber grows on mineral soil. The remaining 30% are called “swamp forests” because they are situated on wetlands. There is, of course, an abundance of smaller forest categories in the country, many with their own kinds of ecosystems and unique biotopes. To make things even more tempting for any movie production, you could easily walk from most forest types to another without having to use other transportation.
The most prominent tree species are Scots pine, birch, Norway spruce, alder, and aspen–albeit you may also stumble upon an occasional English oak, European ash, or mountain elm. The biggest and best known Estonian forest area is called Alutaguse, an easy 2½ hour trip from the Tallinn airport. This area consists of woods and swamps and, even better, has no humans around. However, that fact doesn’t mean you won’t be interrupted by unexpected “guests” on your movie set: the place is inhabited by flying squirrels, wolverines, and bears, so you’d better be ready to meet them. Then again, animals and birds might come in handy as extras, and since none of them belong to a union, they work for nothing.
Robin Hood is just one of the archetypal heroes we need to stay in touch with– today more than ever before. The world might be in turmoil, but there is nothing a journey to fantasy or the reappearance of a mythic hero won’t fix, even if it’s just for an escape for a few hours.
Estonians believe they have the most magnificent forests in the world, and we invite movie makers to share that beauty with their audiences.